Looking Ahead to Miami Art Week and Events Happening in Wynwood
Miami Art Week, the always growing, diverse moniker that includes the Art Basel anchor fair and a dizzying array of choices, runs from December 5 to December 10 this year. And Wynwood, Miami’s authentic “cultural capital,” is a neighborhood that has art for days (as well as nights). As many of you know who have been to Miami during this time, Wynwood is a mainstay of the Week from its inception, it is also so much more. The confluence of high art and street art, fine design and funky local stores, haute cuisine and hand-held tasty morsels, and entertainment from drag shows to great music, makes Wynwood a must-stop on everyone’s list.
“Miami Art Week is one of our favorite annual events, and we really roll out the proverbial red carpet for it,” said Manny Gonzalez, Wynwood Business Improvement District (BID) Executive Director. The BID is a key player in guiding the neighborhood's evolution from an industrial district into a bustling, arts-focused urban community that is now attracting high-end investment and both commercial and residential development|. “Of course, we have other major events throughout the seasons that make the neighborhood so exciting, including the III Points Festival, Wynwood Pride and Music Week.”
Locals want to return, and visitors want to try Wynwood out, as the neighborhood throbs nearly round the clock during Miami Art Week. Wynwood’s main artery, NW Second Avenue, dubbed by Time Out and others as one America’s most famous and most popular, streets, is the beating heart of the District, but great gems can be found throughout its more than 50 square blocks. During this internationally renowned week, thousands of art-world professionals, collectors, and investors flock to South Florida in search of art trends and a new generation of emerging art stars.
This multifaceted spectacle offers art fairs, events, and programming from local leading art institutions and galleries, brings together artists, buyers and trend-setters from around the globe. Wynwood-specific Art Week highlights for 2023 include:.
• Satellite fairs hosted at Mana Wynwood, including Spectrum and Red Dot..
• Goldman Global Arts Gallery featuring many artists annually commissioned to create new works on the Wynwood Walls and opening during Miami Art Week under the “Power of Purpose” programming series..
• The highly regarded Gary Nader Art Centre featuring an new exhibition that is a homage to Botero, and other artists..
• The Museum of Graffiti will be showcasing top global and local graffiti artists, including trailblazing LA-based artist, Mear One’s solo exhibition, “Metaphysical Surrealism,” and the Mi Campo Artists’ Lounge on the Museum’s patio.
• The Margulies Collection at the Warehouse with multiple exhibitions including Motherwell, Segal, Stella; Mimmo Paladino: Painting and Sculpture; and more..
• Wynwood Marketplace hosting HIVE, a Culinary & Cocktail Village, produced by SWARM.
Other notable Wynwood galleries and arts centers include the Paradox Museum, Art Fusion Galleries and Aliona Ortega Fine Art. While taking in the art and special cultural events that Wynwood has to offer for Miami Art Week, one can’t miss eating at such popular restaurants such as Doya, MaryGold’s or Coyo Taco. Unique and boutique local retail highlights include Frangipani, Little Words Project and Glottman Showroom. And if looking for some of Wynwood’s famous nightlife, R House, Gramps and Cerveceria La Tropical are great places to check out.
Check out more things to do in Wynwood during Miami Art Week here.