This Friday, January 13, WWA Gallery in Culver City, California opens About Face: A Portrait Show. One of the artists in the show, Nicole Bruckman, sat down with us and answered a few questions about a fear of sports, her fifth grade teacher, and Nicki Minaj.
1. One reason you make art:
To see my fantasies come to life.
2. The last good movie you saw:
Money Pit—It still makes me laugh even though I have seen it a hundred times.
3. Something you’ve always wanted to do, but have yet to:
Paint a really huge painting.
4. Favorite country or city visited:
Italy: Florence, Rome, Positano, and Capri. All amazing.
5. A few words that sum up your philosophy on life:
All great achievements require time.
6. Something you want the world to know about you:
I love dogs.
7. Something that annoys or frustrates you about people:
They’re not dogs.
8. Something that concerns you:
Too many to list.
9. Artists you admire:
Will Cotton, Gail Potacki, Camilla Rose Garcia, Mark Ryden, Walton Ford, Maxfield Parrish, just to name a few
10. Favorite quote(s):
“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not.”
11. The first record or CD you ever bought? The last album you downloaded?
The Bangles, Different Light. Nicki Minaj.
12. Something you do when you’re procrastinating?
Play with my dogs, talk on the phone, and clean.
13. What is your most defining characteristic?
14. What is your greatest fear?
All sporting activities.
15. The moment you realized you were an ‘artist’:
Fifth grade. My teacher told me I should take art lessons and it was the first thing that I really stuck with.
16. Your greatest quality:
I am thoughtful.
17. Something you wish you could change or alter about yourself:
I wish I worried less.
18. What is the biggest risk you’ve ever taken and was it worth it?
I’m pregnant…I’ll let you know.
19. Something you wish you had known five years ago:
How to paint clouds.
20. What do you hope to accomplish in the next five years of your life?
I’m hoping to find a balance between family, art and life.
January 13—February 11, 2012
Culver City, California