Spanish artist, Escif gives a brief explanation to this site-specific painting on an old German fort, “The battery Karola was built between 1942 and 1944 by the German navy. On 12 September 1944, the Allies had surrounded the entire fort and a long siege began. The base was defended by 20,000 German soldiers and the siege continued until the capitulation. During this time, all supplies to the base was provided by u-boats.
The third May 1945 the last u-boat (U-255) arrived with fuel and supplies to the besieged base. It left the base again two days later and the eighth May the German garrison surrendered to the Allies.”