Back Talk—KRK RydenJuxtapoz // Thursday, 24 Feb 2011
KRK Ryden, who has been featured in Juxtapoz before, has a new exhibition, The Ultra Glob Show, opening at WWA Gallery in Culver City this Friday night (Feb 25). If you remember, Mr KRK worked with the band DEVO back in the day.
1. One reason you make art: To not die.
2. The last good movie you saw: The Green Lantern.
3. Something you’ve always wanted to do, but have yet to: Make a movie, ( title "Moo-Vee" )
4. Favorite country or city visited: Hollywood, California.
5. A few words that sum up your philosophy on life: Take what is surreal, magical, or dreamlike and turn it into reality.
6. Something you want the world to know about you: I'll do anything for a laugh.
7. Something that annoys or frustrates you about people: People that monologue and won't let you answer the question they just asked.
8. Something that concerns you: The complete legalization of marijuana. I don't drink, booze kills, pot thrills.
9. Artists you admire: Mark Mothersbaugh, Markie Ryden, Mark Rothko, Leonardo Duh Vinci, Bob "the bum" Crumb, Chuck Close, Mitch O'Connel, Roy Lichtenstein, Marion Peck, Big Daddy Roth, Gary Baseman.
10. Favorite quote(s): Never trust a skinny cook, The power of the press belongs to the one who owns the press, Pee for free, a penny a poop.
11. The first record or CD you ever bought? The last album you downloaded? The Crazy World of Arthur Brown.
12. Something you do when you’re procrastinating? Read Shakespear.
13. What is your most defining characteristic? I'm an artist, but also play theremin. (physically? granny glasses and a goatee).
14. What is your greatest fear? Being homeless, naked, and covered with black ants.
15. The moment you realized you were an ‘artist’: Pretty much when I was eleven years old and was commisioned to do a $20 oil portrait of a woman's balerina
16. Your greatest quality: Avoiding what pessimists call "reality".
17. Something you wish you could change or alter about yourself: I'd like to be able to fly, or at least levitate.
18. What is the biggest risk you’ve ever taken and was it worth it? Ran up to a beautiful little blonde girl in second grade named Tink Dollar and kissed her in front of a schoolyard full of kids and teachers. She turned out to be the daughter of the multi-millionaire decendents of the inventor of the Stanly Steamer.
19. Something you wish you had known five years ago: It might have been better to move back to Hollywood.
20. What do you hope to accomplish in the next five years of your life? Build a theme park, star and direct in movies, and make out with Pauley Purette.
The Ultra Glob Show
February 25—March 26, 2011
Culver City, California