Back Talk: Melissa FormanJuxtapoz // Wednesday, 10 Nov 2010
Melissa Forman is a Cleveland, Ohio based painter with a solo show, "Keepers of Creation" opening at Corey Helford Gallery in Culver City this Saturday, November 13. She is the subject of today's "Back Talk" ...
1. One reason you make art . . . I make art as a way of communicating things that I can't put into words.
2. The last good movie you saw . . . I really don't have time to sit and watch many movies. The last good one I remember seeing in the theater was Fantastic Mr. Fox.
3. Something you’ve always wanted to do, but have yet to . . . I'd like to travel to Asia or South America.
4. Favorite country or city visited . . . My favorite was Rome, but Cairo was a close second.
5. A few words that sum up your philosophy on life . . . Honesty is the best policy.
6. Something you want the world to know about you . . . No matter what I do, I always try to do my best.
7. Something that annoys or frustrates you about people . . . I get annoyed when people are oblivious and don't realize how their actions will affect others.
8. Something that concerns you . . . I'm concerned for the state of the environment and the creatures that inhabit it. That's what inspired my latest show. I wish that humans, animals and nature could learn to live in a symbiotic and productive way.
9. Artists you admire . . . James Jean, Eugenio Recuenco, Martin Wittfooth, Femke Hiemstra, Mark Ryden, John William Waterhouse, Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres.
10. Favorite quote(s) . . . "If you don't stick to your values when they're being tested, they're not values: they're hobbies." —Jon Stewart
11. The first record or CD you ever bought? The last album you downloaded? . . . My first CD ever was Metallica's Black album, and the last one I downloaded was Fever Ray's self titled album.
12. Something you do when you’re procrastinating? . . . I worry that I'm not getting any work done.
13. What is your most defining characteristic? . . . My preschool teacher told my mom when I was 3 years old that I was "extremely sensitive and felt things very deeply." I think that still holds true today.
14. What is your greatest fear? . . . I have an intense fear of failure and letting others down.
15. The moment you realized you were an ‘artist’ . . . The earliest memory I have that solidified the fact that I was an "artist" was in third grade. We were asked to draw our favorite possession and a lot of the other kids asked me to do their drawings for them because they thought I would do a better job.
16. Your greatest quality . . . I'm a perfectionist, and I think that manifests itself as both my best and worst quality.
17. Something you wish you could change or alter about yourself . . . I wish I wasn't so socially backwards. It takes me a little while to feel comfortable around people.
18. What is the biggest risk you’ve ever taken and was it worth it? . . . I think the biggest risk I took was on my relationship with my boyfriend. I have never been very good at trusting others or truly opening myself up, but I decided to take a risk and give everything I could. It turns out the risk was worth it; he's the best thing that ever happened to me.
19. Something you wish you had known five years ago . . . I wish someone had drilled into my head how much work goes into being a professional artist. They always told us in college that we would have to work our asses off to be successful, but I never really gave it much thought. Now I realize just how much hard work and dedication it takes.
20. What do you hope to accomplish in the next five years of your life? . . . My continuing goal is to just be better. I want to be a better friend, a better girlfriend, a better daughter, a better sister, a better worker, a better artist and just a better human being.
Keepers of Creation
Opens November 13, 2010
Corey Helford Gallery
Culver City, California