Back Talk: A Conversation with COOPJuxtapoz // Friday, 08 Jun 2012
Starting on Saturday, June 9, COOP will be one of many artists in the Corey Helford Gallery group show, Motion, an exhibition that gave the guidelines of depicting people in motion, design in motion, and nature in motion. Each piece captures a different aspect of movement, creating an intensely vital and energized multi-artist exploration. We talked to COOP on this occasion...
1. One reason you make art: Only one? Nothing else to do.
2. The last good movie you saw: Moonrise Kingdom.
3. Something you’ve always wanted to do, but have yet to: Race a Top Fuel Dragster.
4. Favorite country or city visited: JAPAN!
5. A few words that sum up your philosophy on life: Throw me the idol, I throw you the whip - NO TIME TO ARGUE!
6. Something you want the world to know about you: I would like the world to know as little about me as possible.
7. Something that annoys or frustrates you about people: See previous answer.
8. Something that concerns you: Artists being exploited.
9. Artists you admire: All of 'em, especially the ones who make a living at it.
10. Favorite quote(s): "D'oh!"
11. The first record or CD you ever bought? The last album you downloaded? Ha ha, CDs didn't even exist when I started buying records! I'm still trying to remember if it was the first DEVO LP or Rocket to Russia by the Ramones - probably DEVO. I just downloaded some krautrock project by the guy from Portishead. I still buy vinyl though.
12. Something you do when you’re procrastinating? Answer interview questions.
13. What is your most defining characteristic? My ability to procrastinate.
14. What is your greatest fear? Having to work for Disney.
15. The moment you realized you were an ‘artist’: I'm still waiting on that one.
16. Your greatest quality: Ask my mom.
17. Something you wish you could change or alter about yourself: I'd like to be taller, do you have any recommendations?
18. What is the biggest risk you’ve ever taken and was it worth it? Painting a 78-foot painting with no idea if anyone would buy it. Someone did buy it, so yes.
19. Something you wish you had known five years ago: That I should buy gold.
20. What do you hope to accomplish in the next five years of your life? Keep myself off of the streets.
“Motion: The Art of Movement”
A Group Exhibition
Opening Reception Saturday, June 9, 2012 from 7?10pm
On View June 9 - June 30, 2012
Corey Helford Gallery
8522 Washington Boulevard
Culver City, CA 90232